This is good for you, simple to make and wonderful comfort food, especially as a light bite in summer months.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. dhana jeera (or 1 dessert spoon cumin, 2 dessert spoon ground coriander)
- 1 onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- Tsp. mixed herbs
- 600g carrots, finely chopped or coarsely grated
- 140g split red lentils
- 1l hot vegetable stock
- Fresh herbs, e.g. coriander, or parsley
- Fresh cream or yogurt and/or olive oil
- Fresh bread
- Heat a large saucepan and fry the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add the spices and fry for 1 minute, or until they start to release their aromas. Put to one side.
- Place the carrot, lentils, and stock in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils have swollen and softened. (Skim off any froth that rises to the top.)
- Combine with the onion and spice mixture.
- Either whizz the soup with a blender until smooth or leave it chunky if you prefer.
- Season to taste and finish with a dollop of cream yogurt or olive oil, and serve with warmed bread.