- 4 chicken breast fillets (or portions of desired meat)
- salt and pepper
- Plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Optional: Mixed herbs, Paprika, Chilli powder, Garlic (powdered, or very finely chopped)
- Using a wooden meat hammer, or rolling pin, pound the portions to about 1 cm (½ inch) thick.
- Lay out the chicken breasts and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs (plus, salt pepper and herbs and spices) in individual shallow bowls, or plates.
- Dredge the rolls in flour, then egg and then in the bread crumbs, making sure to coat them thoroughly. (I find it is easiest to do this with two sets of forks, or tongs – or indeed just using one hand for the dry and one for the wet – it gets messier and messier!)
- Heat oil to 180°C (350°F). Shallow fry in about 1cm of oil on a medium heat. Transfer to kitchen paper once completed.