KFC is awesome – but perhaps less than healthy! This way of cooking chicken means you at least know what’s in it…
It’s actually pretty simple to put together – if you can’t get hold of all the ingredients don’t worry: if you used just salt pepper and flour it would work!
- 1/2 tbsp of paprika
- 1/4 tbsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 900 g (2lb) chicken breast meat
- 1 cup of flour
- Oil for frying
- Cut up the chicken into chunks – either the same size as popcorn, or as I prefer, a little bigger – about 1.5 cm cubes.
- In a bag, or bowl, mix all the spices, herbs, and flour together (if you want the chicken to be particularly spicy, then double the chilli).
- Add the the chicken and make sure it is all evenly coated.
- Once evenly coated, rest the chicken for 1 hour in the fridge – this will ensure the flour coating stays on.
- Pour enough oil in a pan so its 1-2 cm (1/2 an inch) deep. Heat it until a small piece of bread it sizzles when dipped in the oil. (180C / 360F)
- Cook for about 7 minutes (or until all the meat has turned white all the way through), turning chicken over once the first side has browned.