- Dripping or oil, for frying
- 400g plain flour, place in the freezer before using
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 550 ml very cold beer
- 4 pieces of white fish (such as pollock or cod)
- Place the flour in a shallow dish that is at least as large as the pieces of fish being cooked.
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder together, in a container that is as large as the fish.
- Heat the oil to 185C (370F)
- At the last moment, mix the beer into the batter, and coat the fillets.
- Deep fry until golden brown. Scoop them out and transfer to a warm dish lined with kitchen paper. Keep them warm while you fry the remaining fish, then serve straight away.
You can find a recipe for tartare sauce here.