This is an easy curry to prepare. The coconut and spinach make it creamy and add body.
Chicken Spinach & Coconut Curry
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 kg chicken thighs, de boned
- 1 tsp of dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp of madras curry powder
- 1 dessert spoons of crushed ginger
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 x 400 g (14 oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml (1 cup) of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 coconut, minced flesh juice, or packet of creamed coconut and 2 tbsp of water.
- 1 x 400 g packet of fresh spinach.
- 1 tsp of garam masala.
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Garnish: chopped coriander
- Add the oil and butter and heat it up. Colour the chicken, then set aside.
- Add the onion and cook until they are a deep golden brown colour. (The darker the better!)
- When it has coloured, add the chilli flakes, curry powder, ginger and garlic. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Then return the chicken to the pan and add the tomato puree, stock, and coconut. (For the coconut, crack open, save the coconut water and prize out the white flesh. Use a vegetable peeler to scrape the brown layer on the outside of the flesh, and then thoroughly blitz the flesh in a food processor.)
- Season and then leave to cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach, and the garam masala then cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Check seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve, sprinkle on chopped coriander.
This is excellent if made in advance and reheated – as it gives the flavours a chance to mingle!