- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 560g/1¼ lb beef mince
- 400g/14oz can tomatoes
- 290ml/10 fl oz stock
- 1 tbsp. Worcester sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh thyme leaves from 1 sprig
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1kg/2lb potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 75g/2½oz butter
- 55ml/2fl oz milk
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and carrot and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the minced beef and cook for 3 minutes to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, purée, stock, Worcester sauce, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in water until soft (10-15 minutes).
- Drain and mash with the butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the meat into an ovenproof dish. Top with the mash and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.