- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric,
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 large tomato, chopped (or half a 14 oz can)
- 350 ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 2 440 g (15.5 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cooked until brown. Stir in the garlic, and ginger, and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the garam masala, and other spices, and fry until the spices have started to release their aromas.
- Then add the tomato, water, and chickpeas and bring to the boil; season to taste with salt.
- Reduce to simmer, cover and cook until the chickpeas are very soft, about 20 minutes.