- 500g minced lean lamb, or leftover roast lamb coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-2 onions, diced
- 1-2 carrots, chopped or grated
- 2 cloves garlic
- Handful of thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 1 sprig of rosemary, needles chopped
- 1-2 carrots, chopped or grated.
- 1 glass of red wine
- 300ml bouillon, beef, chicken, or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1kg creamy mashed potato (made with 1kg large, floury potatoes, 150ml whole milk and 50g butter)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/gas 4.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender (about 15-20 minutes). Drain and mash.
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Season the mince and fry in the oil over moderate to high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir the onions, herbs, and carrot into the mince then grate the garlic in as well.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, red wine, and stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Spoon the mince into the bottom of a large ovenproof dish.
- Using a large spoon, layer the mashed potato generously on top of the mince, start from the outside and work into the middle.
- Fluff up the mash potato with a fork to make rough peaks. Bake in the oven for approximately 25 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.