300ml veal or chicken velouté
70ml heavy cream
1 egg yolk
1/2 lemon’s juice
salt and white pepper to taste
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the velouté over medium-high heat.
- Beat together the cream and egg yolks until smooth.
- Slowly add about a cup of the hot velouté into the eggs, whisking constantly so that the egg yolks don’t curdle from the heat.
- Now gradually whisk the warm mix back into the rest of the velouté.
- Bring the sauce back to a gentle simmer for just a moment, but don’t let it boil.
- Season to taste with salt, white pepper and lemon juice. Strain and serve right away.
Use straight away, or store in a thermos flask if you want to prepare it ahead of use: it cannot be reheated though, or the eggs will separate!