The luscious glossy versatile sauce.
Whether used as is in a simple sandwich, or tinkered with as a fulsome topping or dip, mayonnaise has to be one of the most popular and adaptable sauces going.
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of mustard
- ~1 tbsp.teaspoon of lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 400 ml / 14 fl. oz. of oil (sunflower oil, groundnut oil – or any similarly flavourless oil.)
- 3 teaspoons of hot water
- Place the egg yolks and mustard in a food processor or large bowl. Blitz until combined, or whisk for 1 minute.
- Very slowly pour in the oil, blending or whisking continuously until the mixture has a thick consistency. Whisk in the hot water, this helps stabilize the mayonnaise and gives it a lighter colour.
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to taste.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
Chill before use. If stored in a covered container and refrigerated, the mayonnaise will keep for up to 2 weeks.