Vanilla ice cream is basically frozen custard.
This recipe is far simpler if you have an ice-cream machine. But, if not it’s still very doable! The ice cream just needs to be taken out the freezer for a good mix up while it’s are freezing…
- 1 x 75g packet of Bird’s instant custard.
- Or, Bird’s Original
- 150ml (1 small carton) of single cream
- Mix according to instructions, using 150ml less of boiling water (only ½ pint instead of ¾ of a pint). You may find it works best to mix a small amount of the boiling water to make a smooth paste first, and then add the rest of the water.
- Next add the single cream and transfer to a container suitable for freezing. Allow to cool.
- Every 20 or so minutes, take the out of the freezer and stir it thoroughly. The more often you do this the better – especially towards the end, the better – as it breaks up the ice, and will create a smoother softer ice cream.
- After a couple of hours or so it should be ready!