Again: super easy – and good to do with kids!
A flapjack, muesli bar, cereal bar, or granola bar is a sweet tray-baked oat bar made from rolled oats, butter, brown sugar and golden syrup. The item is known as a “flapjack” in the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man and Ireland and as a “muesli bar” or “cereal bar” in Australia and New Zealand. In other countries, including Canada, the United States, and South Africa, such products are referred to as “granola bars”.
- 4 oz. (110g) light brown sugar
- 6 oz. (175g) butter
- 1 dessertspoon golden syrup
- 6 oz. (175g) porridge oats
- (optional: a few drops of almond essence)
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C).
- To start, place the sugar, butter and golden syrup together in a medium saucepan and heat until the butter has melted.
- Then remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the porridge oats and a few drops of almond essence.
- Now, press the mixture out over the base of the prepared tin, and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cutting into oblong bars. Leave until cold before removing the flapjacks from the tin, then store in an airtight container.