Sardines are really good for you – lots of omega-3 – plus they are cheap.
I really wanted to recreate a BBQ type dish – so I went for this. Rather than pan-frying or grilling, which you could do, I want the ease of simply popping them into the oven and taking them out once they are done! The quantities for the rice is enough to serve 4 people.
I used the piri piri recipe I posted here. The sauce its self seemed ridiculously hot, but the resulting food was nice and spicy – without being overpowering. I had a load leftover, which should stay good for ~1 month – and some of which I will use for a spicy tomato ketchup. Use 3 or 4 sardines per person.
- Prep the sardines and wash them – you can see an excellent video of how to here.
- Marinate the sardines over night if possible, if not at least 4 hours.
- Heat the oven too about 220C / 440C
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the sardines start to colour.
Spicy Rice with vegetables:
- 260 grams, or 275 ml (1/2 pint) of rice
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil (or whatever you have to hand!)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. of chilli flakes/powder or 1-2 chillies
- 1 tsp of coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 small sweet pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- handful of green beans, diced
- 1-2 carrots, diced
- parsley, to garnish
- Wash the rice thoroughly, then cover with about 1 pint of water (the water should be twice as high as the rice in the pan, i.e. double the depth of the rice).
- Bring to the boil, add the stock cube, and allow the rice to simmer for ~15 minutes. You could do this in advance, and then fry the rice when you want to use it.
- Then heat up the oil in the pan, add the chilli, spices, garlic and green beans. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add the rest of the vegetables and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, add the rice and heat through.
- Taste, season, taste, serve.