I couldn’t get swede here, in Spain, and I was cooking a Christmas meal. So, I used sweet potato instead. I would never think of cooking mashed swede as part of a Christmas meal – but having made this, I think it would be really nice with a few things – especially, for example, as the mash in Bangers and Mash.
- 550 g sweet potato
- 260 g carrots
- 1 oz Butter (or to taste), or a good ‘lug’ of olive oil
- ~1tsp. ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste (a generous amount of freshly ground pepper will finish this off nicely!)
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Peel and cube the sweet potato and carrots.
- Cook the potato for about 20 minutes then add the carrots – cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Mash the veg, as roughly or as smoothly as you desire, then add the butter.
- Finally, season and serve.
To keep this vegan, simple use olive oil instead of the butter.
To make it a little more spicy, add a little chilli powder, 1 tsp. of coriander and 1/2 tsp of cumin.