Whether you call them a flapjack, muesli bar, cereal bar, or granola bar, these are pretty tasty. I made these to up the amounts of nuts I eat each week. (I figure about 3 tablespoons a day is a good amount to aim for – not that I eat that many of these, honest!) These are nice on their own – or crumbled onto ice cream or sliced up fruit like peaches. The original recipe was very simple – but came out a little greasy and too crumbly. So I added a little flour to sure it up.
- 170g of butter
- 115g of sugar
- 60g 94 tbsp) of golden syrup
- 45 g (3 tbsp) of plain flour
- 200g oats
- 100g of dried fruit
- 100g of seeds/nuts
- ½ an apple, grated (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180C / 350F / fan 170C / gas mark 4
- Grease or line a 20×25 cm baking tin (or a little bigger if you want thinner chewier bars).
- In a pan, gently melt the butter and add the syrup and sugar – stir until dissolved.
- In a sturdy bowl, add all the other ingredients then stir in the liquid.
- When thoroughly mixed, pack down into the baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the flapjacks have cooled down a little, slice into about 12 portions.