Seared tuna and crispy bacon on a bed of blitzed herby-multi-seed croutons, caesar dressed leaves, with olives, capers, green beans, new potatoes, soft-boiled quails eggs, and a parmesan crisp.
- For the croutons: 1 tsp of mix mixed herbs, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and 1/4 tsp of onion powder with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Brush over 2 slices of multigrain bread on both sides, then cube and place on a baking tray. Roast at 160C until crisp and golden. (Check every 3-4 minutes).
- For the parmesan crisp: spread out a tbsp of grated Parmesan into a biscuit ring on a baking paper lined tray (or silicone baking sheet). Repeat for each crisp, spacing about a 2 cm apart. Season with black pepper. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool.
- For the quails egg: cook for 2 minutes 15 seconds in boiling water with about 1 tbsp of vinegar added. Cool in an ice bath. Peal carefully.
- For the bacon: fry or grill until crispy (2 x streaky, or 1x back /person)
- For the lettuce: break up 1 little gem (for 2 people) and toss in 1-2 tbsp of dressing:
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 anchovies
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbs of virgin olive oil
- 1 (scant) tsp of dijon mustard
- 1 handful of grated parmesan
- pinch of salt, pepper
- For the new potatoes: boil 2-3 potatoes/person for ~12 minutes in salted water, until a knife goes in easily. Dress in butter and finely chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper.
- For green beans: boil in salted water for 8-10 minutes. They should be well cooked, but not mushy! Dress in olive oil, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- For the tuna steaks: heat a griddle or frying pan. Add a little oil (I brush the griddle with corn oil, or add a teaspoon to a good non-stick pan). Season the tuna well with salt and pepper. On a med-high heat, fry until there is some colour one one side. Flip repeat, set aside to rest. The tuna should still be raw in the middle!
- Olives and capers: allow 4-5 of each per person.